DD-WRT OpenVPN Setup
Disclaimer: Installation and use of any software made by third party developers is at your own discretion and liability. We share our best practices with third party software but do not provide customer support for them.This guide is intended for v3.0-r33986 std (12/04/17).
FlashRouters offers plug and play DD-WRT Routers preconfigured Private Internet Access Routers for this setup.
By default, DD-WRT may use your ISP's DNS servers using DHCP. For privacy reasons, we'll instead configure DD-WRT to explicitly use alternate DNS servers.
You can find our CA Certificate here, which will be useful later.
In the DD-WRT Administrative Interface, navigate to Setup > VPN.
- Start OpenVPN Client: Enable
- Server Address: Select your address from our server list found here.
- In this example we used 'us-east.privateinternetaccess.com' (New York, USA)
- Port: 1198
- Interface Device: TUN
- Tunnel Protocol: UDP
- Encryption Cipher: AES-128-CBC
- Hash Algorithm: SHA1
- User Pass Authentication: Enable
- Username: Enter your PIA username (for example P1234567)
- Password: Enter your PIA password (for example 12345678)
Under Additional Config, enter the following:
Copy the CA Certificate you downloaded earlier in the CA Cert field
Under Network Address Server Settings (DHCP), set:
- Static DNS 1 = 184.108.40.206
- Static DNS 2 = 220.127.116.11
Use DNSMasq for DHCP = Checked
Use DNSMasq for DNS = Checked
DHCP-Authoritative = Checked
Save and Apply Settings.