Before you begin, if you see our app running in your system tray, right-click on it, and choose Disconnect (if highlighted at the top), then Exit.
Next, download a fresh copy of our installation file from the following link: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/installer/download_installer_win
Note: If you receive a message after downloading that it may be unsafe (this is a false-positive report that sometimes comes up from cloud distributed files), click the arrow on the right-hand side of the notice, and click Keep.
After this, follow the steps below to fully uninstall and reinstall the TAP adapter, and the application, in full:
The steps below MUST be followed in the exact order listed
- Go to the Search bar in your taskbar, search for Device Manager, and open the link that appears.
- Expand the Network Adapters category.
- If you see "TAP-Windows Adapter V9 #2", right-click on it, and and click Uninstall.
- In the popup confirmation box, checkmark the option to also delete the driver's software, then click Ok.
- Expand Other Devices or Unknown Devices (if in the list).
- If you see any instances of an Unknown Device listed there, right-click on it, and choose Uninstall.
- Go to the Search bar in your taskbar, and search for Uninstall Private Internet Access, then click the link that appears.
- Confirm any popup boxes that might appear, then power off your computer completely.
- "Shutdown" please .. not the "Restart"
- Wait about 30 seconds, then power your computer back up.
- Find the fresh copy of the installer you downloaded above, right-click on it, and choose Run as Administrator.
If it's still failing to install after trying the above, let us know.