Some networks are configured to restrict access to certain sites and services. These "restrictive" networks can sometimes interfere with the VPN connection, causing issues getting connected. For situations like this, we recommend the following set-up:
To configure OpenVPN on Android, first, download one of the following sets of config files for OpenVPN from our website:
Extract the files to your desktop.
The next step varies depending on your operating system.
For Windows users:
- Connect your Android device to your computer via USB. A window with several options should appear on your computer screen. Choose the option to Open device to view files (your device's screen will need to be unlocked in order for the files to appear)
- If this window mentioned above does not appear, click your Start button, click Computer, and select your Android device from the options listed. Place the .ovpn files, as well as the ca.crt and crl.pem files, somewhere easy to access on the device. I personally recommend the Download folder, and the rest of the guide will assume you have chosen this as well.
For MacOS users:
- Transferring files between Android devices and Mac computers is a bit more difficult. The best way to do this will be to upload the downloaded .ovpn files, as well as the ca.crt and crl.pem files to a Dropbox account (a similar service would work also) from your computer, then download them to your Android device. Place the files somewhere easy to access on the device. I personally recommend the Download folder, and the rest of the guide will assume you have chosen this as well.
- Alternatively, you can use one of the file transfer apps on the Play Store designed specifically for transferring files between Android devices and Mac computers.
Once this has been done:
- On your Android device, download OpenVPN Connect from the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.openvpn.openvpn&hl=en
- Open the OpenVPN connect app on your phone.
- Tap the menu key on your device. Choose the option for Import.
- From the Import menu, choose Import Profile from SD card.
- Scroll to the Download folder, and tap the folder.
- Choose the .ovpn file for the server you want to connect to from the .ovpn file. Then tap Select at the bottom of the screen.
- Enter your username and password for the VPN service.
- Tap connect. When you tap connect, you may be prompted to select a certificate file. Tap Select a Certificate, and then tap install. Go back to your Download folder, and choose the ca.crt file. When prompted to name the certificate, you can choose whatever name you prefer. For example, Private Internet Access. There will also be a drop-down menu labeled Credential use. Leave this set to VPN and apps.
- Tap Ok. It will take you back to the window that says No certificates found. Tap cancel this time.
- Tap Connect. You will be prompted to Continue, or Select a Certificate again. This time, choose Continue, and you should be connected!
If you are having issues getting connected with the set of config files that were downloaded chose, then please try a different set and try again.